This isn't a love poem but a poem about love

 


I marvel at how you romanticise broken cups and use them to plant rosemaries in your kitchen garden

Smile at unwelcome rainclouds and put on retro hindi songs

How every fight with you turns into a heart-to-heart and a bone-crushing hug

How even at your lowest you never disrespect your perpetrators

Anger doesn't end in fistfights and a power struggle

How it's us against the problem and not you versus me

How I don't have to explain myself in fear of being thought of as 'too much'

I can cling to you and not be 'clingy'

Stand my ground and not be a 'feminazi'

It's been a long day of balance sheets and bar charts

And coming home doesn't feel like purgatory

Laughing or not laughing at your jokes  is not a task anymore

I pick daisies from mountain sides to put in your hair and don't think of clicking a picture for the world to see

I don't write sonnets for you but you find yourself in every verse anyway

Winter hasn't felt this warm before.


- Persephone

30th December, 2022


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"আলোর জাহাজ ফিরব ঘর আজ, বল না কতদূর?"